Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Change of pace. Let's be AWESOME today! Let's make Lucie's day!

Hey guys.  Let's not do today what we always do.  Let's be different.  Let's be awesome! There is a girl named Lucie.  You do not know her, but that doesn't matter.  Let me tell you what I know about her.

I have read a handful of her blog posts now from theregoeslucie.com and she seems like an incredibly sweet girl.  She's caring, friendly, attractive, a great writer, a great drawer and extremely interesting!

Lucie also suffers from depression...

Please, don't stop reading.  Be awesome today and keep reading on and lets put a smile on Lucie's face.  A real smile.  Not one that she just has to put on because she doesn't want to feel like she is bringing other people down.  Those are, sadly, her own words. :(

Mental health is something that is stigmatized and too often not spoken about.  That is a shame and it is just wrong.  Mental health is just as important as physical health and it is a tragedy that many do not treat it that way.  People suffering from depression or other mental illnesses are forced to bite their tongue because they feel as though others will just chalk them up to being crazy.  In the case of Lucie she is talking about it and she is incredibly brave for doing so. Lucie is very special.  She is not letting her depression silence the voice she has.  She wants people to know what she is going through and more than anything she just wants to be happy.  So.  Even if it is only for one day.  If it makes today easier for her let's make Lucie happy.  Let's make her smile.

To give you a better idea of what she is going through I want to share a paragraph from her site.  This was the part in one of her posts where I decided that I owe it to her to make her smile and I hope it does the same for all of you.
"Unfortunately, a few days ago I had a VERY bad time & hate myself so much for how I acted, even though I couldn’t control it! I never really self harmed, I just had suicidal thoughts, but I did on occasions harm myself. I’ve cut my wrist a few times with anything I could find, be it in class or on the way to school or in my bedroom. I’ve cut my head, under a few layers of hair so it can’t be seen. But the thing I seem to do the post is shredding my knuckles. When I’m in such a bad state I clam up, fists clenched and I shake and cry. I’ve always found that as soon as I start hitting or grinding my knuckles against a brick wall, it turns my mental pain into physical pain which brings some sort of relief. I hate that I hurt myself, but in those periods where I have no rational thinking, all I want to do is transfer that mental pain into physical pain so I can understand it and actually understand why I’m hurting." ~theregoeslucie
Having read that I hope you feel the same way I do.  I hope you have a smaller understanding of how she feels.  I hope you recognize how brave she is for sharing that with the entire world.  More than anything I hope you feel the same overwhelming urge that I do to put a smile on Lucie's face.  So here is how we are going to do that.

The kindness of a stranger is one of the most powerful things in the world.  Having a complete stranger do something nice for you can put you on top of the world.  Here is what we can do.  It will take less than a minute of your time and it can make a world of difference.   If you have Twitter sent Lucie a Tweet.

Here is Lucie's Twitter profile.

Just send her a Tweet.  Tell her you read her story and just tell her you hope she has a great day.  You do not have to tell her that I told you to do it.  You are deciding to do this all on your own because you are an awesome person.  I just opened the door.  You are walking through it.

If you really want to show your support I urge you to go to her site and leave a comment.  A tweet is limited to 140 characters, but  leaving a comment you can say so much more!  Gestures where you get nothing in return are the most genuine things you can do.  So what do you say?  Are you going to be awesome today?

0 comments:

Post a Comment