Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Leave it to Microsoft to do the same thing as other companies, but make it more expensive.

People like to shit on Apple a lot.  Mostly because their products are eye-opening in regards to their price tags.  I have no desire to ever own a Mac computers.  Not only because I do not care for the Mac OS, but also because I refuse to spend $2,000+ on a good laptop from them.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

Today I was perusing through my Twitter feed and came across Microsofts version of what is basically a Chromecast.  I do own a Chromecast.  I use it on a daily basis when I am laying in bed I stream Netflix to my television.  I just bought mine about two months ago for $35 and that was not on sale or anything.  For the ability to do what it does $35 is more than a fair price.  I had no qualms about forking over my money to Google--well, Best Buy, but Google gets their cut.  Anyway; that's not my point.

So Microsoft have revealed their own version of the Chromecast which is going to be releasing on October 31st, 2014.  The first thing I noticed was that it has a pretty hefty price tag coming in at $59.99!  For a device that isn't a Roku or equivalent product that is a lot of money!  I will admit though.  It does look nice and inconspicuous compared to my Chromecast with its power cord.  I will give it that.  I just do not know that I would ever be willing to pay $59.99 for a product that appears as though it will do less than a Chromecast, but asks for the same price as a Roku.

It seems that Microsoft are starting to do this a lot lately with their products.  The Surface Pro 3 laptops are the same way.  They are prices quite high when you compare them to equivalent products on the market.  While I am at it lets compare the Xbox One as well.  There is absolutely not secret that the product is 50% less powerful than the competition, but yet they are asking the same price.

Hopefully Microsoft doesn't make a habit out of making similar products for a higher price!


0 comments:

Post a Comment