Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Update directly from Microsoft on what the thermometers in the Xbox One can and cannot do.

For anyone just coming here this post is in response and update from the post I made the other day entitled. LINK: 
I have gotten more than one email now from people saying that I am a fool and of course the Xbox One has thermometers within it.  How else would it control the fan speeds and such.  I want to clarify that you are 100% correct and I have always known that.  My question to the developer was if they have thermal sensors/thermometers that are able to actually track data and send it back to Microsoft for the sake of logging it.

That is what my tweet was saying.  People hang on to the first part, but ignore the second part and that is what he was addressing.  The claim that the console can pull thermal information from the end user and send it back to Microsoft is what I wanted to know.  I decided to reach out to Microsoft directly and was able to get an official response to it.  Here is the transcript from the chat I had.  If you would like me to forward you the actual email let me know in the comments section and I will get that done.

General Info
Chat start time Jul 29, 2014 10:23:42 AM EST
Chat end time Jul 29, 2014 10:38:15 AM EST
Duration (actual chatting time) 00:14:32
Operator Ral
Chat Transcript
info: Please wait for an agent to respond.  You are currently '1' in the queue.
info: Privacy Statement 
You are now chatting with 'Ral'.

Ral: Thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support. My name is Ral, can I please have your Microsoft Account ID (email) and Gamertag?
Adam: dollada06@outlook.com Doll8313
Ral: Thank you for that information, Adam. Please be advised that we cannot track the temperature of your console on our end. Rest assured that all the information on your console is secured to you.
Adam: Can I give you a link to where I read it? 
Ral: Yes, please.
Adam: http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/172346.html?page=7#comments
Ral: One moment please.
Adam: " there are internal testing going on right now... and those testers are you people.. there doing thermal and cooling acoustics and temperature test.. maybe a few temperature test on a set few games I here forza and I also hear the beta of destiny is playing a roll. Iv been told forza 5 doesn't even get the fans going enough to be audible. It all has to do with environmental feald tests for the architecture. There testing for head room and how high temps can get and there gating of with dark silicone tech. These test have something to do with November sdk. There will be new sdk in October also which will have people smiling but November/December is the time to be ready..... gameon !!!! :)"
Adam: That is the paragraph in question.
Adam: This guy seems to, or at least claims to, know what is going on with the Xbox One. I am just curious if any of his claims are true because if Microsoft were able to record the temperature of my system that would be a major privacy issue I would think.
Ral: Thank you for the link, Adam. Thank you for reporting this to us. I've already coordinated this to my supervisor and this is not an official statement from Microsoft. We can confidently way that we cannot track the temperature on your consoles for security purposes. Please disregard this article.
Ral: We will coordinate this to the higher departments as well to have this rectified. We admire you for reporting this to us. 
Ral: Please only visit http://news.xbox.com and http://majornelson.com for official news and updates.
Adam: Just to clarify. What part of what you said is not an official statement? What you said about not beign able to track the temp? Or was you saying "We can confidently way that we cannot track the temperature on your consoles for security purposes. Please disregard this article." an official statement? I just want to be absolutely sure.
Adam: The official response from Microsoft is that The Xbox One's temperature sensors cannot track temperature data of users and send it back to Microsoft correct?
Ral: That we do not have the capability to see or check the temperatures of your console. We here at Microsoft values the privacy of the customers and players. 
Ral: Yes, that's correct, Adam.
Adam: Awesome. Thank you so much for you help!
Adam: That is all I was curious about today.
Ral: You're very much welcome. It was a pleasure assisting you my fellow gamer. I hope I was able to address all your concerns. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Adam: Nope that was all I needed. You've been a big help! Thank you so much. Just wanted to get an official word on things.
Ral: I'm glad we we're able to resolve your issue. From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank you. It seems that my day will be great because I'm talking to a very nice person during my shift.
Ral: If that was everything, I'd like to thank you again for contacting Xbox Customer Support. To properly end the chat session, please click on the "Close chat" button on the upper right hand corner of the chat window.  Have a wonderful rest of your day!
Adam: You too, thanks a lot!
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to dollada06@outlook.com at the end of your chat.
Ral: Thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support! To end your chat session please click "Close chat" above the chat window. If you have any additional questions after you disconnect, feel free to contact us again. Have a great day!

So the official word from Microsoft is that the Xbox One is NOT able to record temperature data and send it back to Microsoft.  The thermometers in the Xbox One are only used for normal purposes.  The following claim at this point has to be deemed false.  Unless I was lied to directly by Microsoft.
I got told something that left me a bit confused. In regards to xbox architecture tho .. but its impossible to know with 100% input from the crew.. there are internal testing going on right now... and those testers are you people.. there doing thermal and cooling acoustics and temperature test.. maybe a few temperature test on a set few games I here forza and I also hear the beta of destiny is playing a roll. Iv been told forza 5 doesn't even get the fans going enough to be audible. It all has to do with environmental feald tests for the architecture. There testing for head room and how high temps can get and there gating of with dark silicone tech. These test have something to do with November sdk. There will be new sdk in October also which will have people smiling but November/December is the time to be ready..... gameon !!!! :)

The key components to what my research revolves around is whether or no we, the end-users, are having temperature data logged by Microsoft for any purpose which is completely false.  I hope this clears up any confusion I may of caused with  my first post.

Even MisterX himself branded me a troll on a mission.  If facts are trolling and lies then I guess call me a troll.



Subscribe to RSS | Youtube 

0 comments:

Post a Comment