Sunday, March 2, 2014

My impressions of The Elder Scrolls Online.

This isn't the first weekend that I have been invited to play, err test, The Elder Scrolls Online.  I actually think this is the 4th or 5th time if my memory serves me correctly.  I have enjoyed it very much, but for the longest time I was unable to talk about it due to an NDA that Zenimax Online Studios has on the game.  I can save you all a lot of time and just tell you up front that this is an extremely well polished game and they've still got over a month of work to do before the final version comes out.

I know a lot of people were skeptics over whether the MMO version of The Elder Scrolls would keep that same feel we have all known for so long.  I can say that on the grand scale of things they have made it feel very much similar to say Skyrim, Oblivion or Morrowind if you have been playing the games that long.  Zenimax gets props on keeping with the feel of things from the past.  I am sure there are going to be those pompous people out there who say they have destroyed the franchise because it happens with anything different, but I wouldn't get too caught up in the whole thing if I were you.

I find the game to have a very similar feeling and on top of that it is fun in its own new way.  Combat feels like a new entity from traditional MMO's and as far as I care that is a welcome change.  If I had to spam 1,2,3,4 and 5 to take down a mob one more time I may have looked for a new hobby because MMO's were getting pretty damn boring.

Here is my official stance.  If you like MMO's and you are a fan of The Elder Scrolls then obviously you should play this game.  It is going to be a fantastic experience for you.  If you are in love with the whole single player interactive experience that you've always had from Skyrim, Oblivion or Morrowind then I would suggest looking at what you want out of this game because it is not that same experience.  It is similar, but there are many MMO aspects to The Elder Scrolls Online that change some of the dynamic you may be used to.  If you can handle that then you should totally play the game.  If you are stuck in old ways and are the type of gamer who is resistant to change then perhaps you should take a pass on it.  It isn't like the franchise is dead for you.  I am certain next generation consoles will bring on a new Elder Scrolls experience in the near future.

That is my two cents.  Take it or leave it.

@Dollmytee

0 comments:

Post a Comment